It isn’t fall without the classic apple pie. I love it, it’s probably my favorite, no definitely my favorite. There’s a reason its a classic, everyone loves it, and there is nothing more comforting than being curled up on your couch with your favorite movie on eating hot apple pie with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. (Like we did last night while catching up on Revenge!) If you don’t like that scenario, (you’re crazy), than how about after dinner as a dessert, or sitting around your Thanksgiving table, or after a long day of apple picking, seriously apple pie is ALWAYS good, which is why its timeless!
Usually with most of my desserts, we eat a couple of pieces each, then give it away, otherwise I would probably still look like I’m 9 months pregnant, seriously I bake way to much. If you go to my Pinterest food board, you’ll see 85% of it baked sweet goodness, and seriously, I have tried most of them, though I’m adding new ones everyday, so it’s getting harder to keep up, good thing its “baking season”!!”
Anywho, this apple pie, is simple, delish, and you will LOVE IT! I LOVE LOVE cinnamon, so of course there is a healthy helping of that, but there is the perfect combination of flavors! And a secret, I used store-bought crust..I know sinful, but it’s so much quicker, and I truly was short on time! If you don’t want the store-bought, there are plenty of delicious crusts out there, like this one, and this, and you can make them right at home, chances are if you bake, you probably have all the ingredients! So bake away and Enjoy this fabulous Fall staple!
- 5 lbs. apples, peeled and sliced (I used McIntosh because that is what I had, but the best combo is Golden Delicious with Granny Smith)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 2 9″ pie crusts, room temperature
- Tin Foil
- Peel and slice your apples, toss in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and flour. Toss until well coated. Allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes to really extract the juices while you roll out your pie crust.
- (If using store-bought) Make sure your crusts are at room temp when you roll them out, otherwise they’ll crack. Dust a surface with flour and roll the first one out until it will hang over the edge of your pie pan. Then place it in and allow it to hang over the edges for now.
- Toss your apple mix into the pie. Begin rolling out the second crust. If you want the lattice crust, follow THESE instructions. (I forgot to take pictures of myself doing it, so I found this tutorial, & it makes it really simple!) If you don’t want to do the lattice top, then simple lay your rolled out crust evenly over the top, pinch the edges together, and make small cuts with a knife.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Melt your butter, and using a pastry brush, coat the top of the pie lightly with it. Now take a strip of tinfoil and wrap it around the edges of the pie. This is so the edges don’t burn, they cook much faster than the rest of the crust, and it would be a shame to pull our your pie and have super crispy edges, the tin foil prevents that from happening.
- Bake your pie for 45-55 minutes, depending on your oven. When you pull it out it should be a beautiful golden brown.
You’ll smell the delicious apples and cinnamon cooking through your house and be dying to eat it! Serve hot and don’t forget the Vanilla Ice Cream! MMM!!