So remember how I told you we went out and had our first date since our little man was born, well on that beer drinking, pool playing, fabulously fun night, we also grabbed a slice of pizza, sounds like a night at the bars, huh?! ha! We walked in and I got Buffalo Chicken, per usee, and Drews-ski got some yummy pizza with no sauce and ricotta and tomatoes on top, seriously-that’s all I remember..(maybe a few to many drinks!) But I remember it being delightfully delicious! So I just had to recreate it! I put a healthier spin on it using wheat flour and fat-free ricotta.
So I have no idea everything that was on the yummy slice from the pizza place, but I recreated a fantastic and flavorful pizza! It was so easy to make and so good! I used Fleischmanns Pizza Crust yeast, so I didn’t have to worry about making the dough and allowing it to rise, it’s great for pizza, I recommend it.
Anyhow, my wonderful, handsome man, who is great to me and even better with our son, has been working his butt off this week, morning to-night (we’ve barely seen him) so last night when we had about two hours together, I made this delicious pizza for us to curl up on the couch and catch up a little. It was terrific, I’ll definitely make it again, and probably soon, like for football this afternoon? Pizza is ALWAYS good, and when it’s not greasy and loaded with unneeded calories, it’s even better! SO try this-you will love it! 🙂
Yield: 1 -12″Pizza Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
Dough (adapted from Fleischmanns)
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Envelope Fleischmanns Pizza Yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2/3 cup very warm water (add until you reach correct consistency)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic. or 2-3 garlic garlic cloves, minced (add more if you’re a garlic lover like us!!)
- 1 Tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cup pecorino romano cheese, shredded (mozzerella works perfect as well!)
- 1 cup Ricotta, mixed with 1 tsp sugar
- Good handful of Fresh Basil Leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Start by making your dough. Combine your all-purpose and whole wheat flours in a bowl. Add yeast directly from the packet, sugar, salt, italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Mix it up and add water until dough is soft. (Add more flour if you over-pour the water!) The dough should form a ball and feel slightly sticky to the touch.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. (Instructions to knead listed below.)
- Roll your dough out on a floured surface until about 12 inches wide, pinch the edges to form a crust. Now begin topping your pizza!
- Brush on the olive oil to evenly coat the dough, then spread around your minced garlic.
- Sprinkle on your Pecorino Romano (or mozzarella) until evenly coated, or until you reach your desired love of cheese. Place the tomato slices over the pizza.
- Mix your ricotta in a bowl with the sugar, then dollop all over your pizza.
- Take a good handful of fresh basil leaves and place all over, add more or less to suit your palate.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, until your crust is golden brown. Pull and Serve!