Oh my Lord. These are one of the greatest cupcakes I have ever had! I’ve been trying to cut down on my baking, attempting to shed a few baby pounds (ha!) but I’ve been wanting to make these since the day I signed up for Pinterest and saw them. No joke. Since I don’t really have the opportunity to drink all that much anymore, I didn’t want to go out and buy a bottle of vodka and Kahlua, so when I was at my mom’s house last weekend, and saw them both in her cabinet, the opportunity was right in front of me. (Turns out, I didn’t need to buy the whole bottles, neither do you, go buy a couple of NIPS! You know, the mini bottles that you get on airplanes Perfect!!)
I don’t think a combination could get any better: CUPCAKES & BOOZE!! Yummo! These are AMAZING! The fact that I made these Sunday and there are still two left on my counter is mind-boggling. Right. Because Im trying to pace myself with baking..the slower I eat them, the longer I go without baking, the less sugary goodness I eat, resulting in, less pounds..my justification goes something like that..anywho!
I knew I wanted to make these before I even read the testimonial on the blog, because I used to looove White Russians. And these cupcakes, are pretty darn close, if not exact, to a white russian. So do yourself a favor, and your hubby, and co-workers, and friends, and GO MAKE THESE! I don’t care what diet your on, eat one and give the rest away, if you can! 😉 These are fabulous! And as if the cupcake isn’t good enough on its own, (I ate a whole one fresh out of the oven before adding the frosting!) the Kahlua buttercream is just the “icing on the cake” hah! Seriously, it tops it off PERFECTLYYY!
If you’re worried about the vodka in the cake, don’t, it cooks off in the oven! And the Kahlua in the frosting is so minimal and has such a small alcohol content anyways, it just gives it the perfect flavor!! These are superb! And now I really want to go eat one! These are perfect for any holiday party you’re attending, seriously. I’m already planning on remaking them for our next event! They’re awesome!! Enjoyy!!!
White Russian Cupcakes
Slightly Adapted from: Baked Perfection
I doubled her recipe and it still didn’t make 24 cupcakes, it made 15. Just a tip when trying to plan out the amount!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
For the Kahlua Buttercream:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar, depending on how sweet you want it, and your desired consistency
- 4-6 Tablespoons Kahlua
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, & salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, or stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and egg whites one at a time, mixing in between.
- Add the vanilla, vodka, and kahlua. Mix.
- Slowly add the flour mixture alternating with milk while mixing.
- Once totally combined, pour into your liners, turn the oven down to 325 degrees. Cook for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- When done, allow them to cool completely before frosting, on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting. Beat the butter until creamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until combined.
- Add the kahlua 1 tablespoon at a time until you have reached desired consistency and taste. (I added a little extra to really get a strong kahlua taste, but cut down on the sugar so it wasn’t super sweet! You can alter it to your liking!)
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost them! Refer to the video in this post for a mess-free piping method!