This deliciousness came about simply because I had these ingredients and I needed to use them. I had basil that was going to wilt soon, feta that needed to be used, and when I saw the spinach in my freezer, all on the same day that I was craving pizza, well, clearly you see the result! We used to order this delicious pizza from down the road with simply Pesto, Mozzarella, & SPinach. So I guess when I saw all this in my fridge, inspiration struck! However, I kicked it up with the feta, because I’m obsessed with it, oh right and I needed to use it too.
Since we started making our pizzas at home, we havent ordered it in a while, but ohhh it was soo good! So I recreated it, and kicked it up a notch! I love pizza, seriously, its a-mazing. And you can totally cut down on the calories making it at home, using wheat dough, putting veggies on top instead of greasy meats. There are quite literally endless possibilities in making a pizza, you can put WHATEVER you wish on top! And nine time out of ten, I betcha its going to turn on fab!
So this pizza is subtle, but so flavorful! The first bite we took, we thought “hmm ..” but then we kept chewing, and within 15 minutes, the entire thing was gone..not joking. It’s so yummy! So go make a pizza!!
Pesto, Spinach, & Feta Pizza
Yields: 12 inch Pizza Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
For the Pizza
- Homemade Pesto (recipe below)
- Pizza Dough (recipe HERE)
- 10 oz bag frozen spinach
- 1-2 cups cheese, mozzarella or cheddar (whatever you prefer)
- 6 oz. (or more) Crumbled Feta I like lots!!
- salt/pepper to taste
For the Basil Pesto
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil
- 2-3 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-4 Tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
- Olive Oil, to desired consistency
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. (Now is the time to start warming your pan or pizza stone if you have one. This helps to geta crunchy crust.)
- Put about a 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of a pan, toss in the spinach and cover. Steam until soft. Drain the water, and squeeze out as much juice from the spinach as you can. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the basil leaves, sliced almonds, garlic cloves, pecorino romano cheese, and olive oil.
- Pulse until it’s a puree. Add olive oil as necessary.
- Make your dough and either roll it out, or hand toss until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Pull your warmed pan or stone out of the oven and toss your crust on.
- Spread your homemade pesto until its evenly coated on the dough.
- Sprinkle on your mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
- Cover with dollops of spinach everywhere, and coat with feta. Add as much as you’d like! I load the baby up! It tends to separate while cooking.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top. Toss in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the crust is a nice golden brown.
- Slice, Serve, & Enjoy!!!