“Oh chariot, your golden waves, Are walking down upon this face…” So as I’m browsing the wine section at Trader Joes Yesterday, with a carriage already filled with
eight two bottles of wine, I turn the corner, and see MY FAVORITE WINE! Its called Chariot Gypsy..not really a sweet, not really a sour red, but the perfect mix of heaven on my palate, and I legitimately started singing “Ohh Chariot..” My finances first comment was “you’re a dork” his second “is it really that good” (because by this point I was already asking for cases so I didn’t have to clear off their shelves) and his third “how many cases are you buying?!?” Well my friends, it really is THAT.GOOD. And just to prove it to him, I made a little italian pasta dish last night, so he could really get the full effect.
You know when somebody really works something up, like realllly works it up, and then you try it and its such a let down…well I’m happy to report that this wine did not disappoint, and neither did this pasta dish! It was EXCELLENT! It even surprised me..I went back for a full plate of seconds, which I usually try to avoid when it comes to pasta. I had a different dish entirely planned for last night, but when I found that wine, then I was browsing Cooking Light (because we all know it’s the New Year, and these ‘healthy’ resolutions last a few weeks, I figured Id join the masses) and saw this dish, I had to do it, and I am SO glad I did! It was phenom! I’m usually not a leftover eater, but I’m already pumped for lunch today!
So do yourself a favor, go buy this wine, because they only get it in 2-3 times a year, and its cleared off the shelves within days, (although it might only be one day with how many cases we took with us) Come to think of it, we probably looked like extreeeemley irresponsible parents with carts full of cases of wine, and a baby in an infant carrier! Oops! Oh well…we’re not old, we still know how to have a good time! 😉 And GO MAKE THIS DISH! It was delicious, we could not stop saying it..it got to the point that Drew had to put it in the fridge before we could keep going back for more..you know, outta sight, outta mind? (Thankfully that worked!)
I hope everyone is enjoying 2012 already!!
Grilled Chicken with Creamy Pesto
- 1-2 large chicken breasts
- Cooking Spray
- dash salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- 12 oz bow tie pasta (really any kind will do!)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1- 4oz jar pesto
- 1 cup Asiago, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered if large, halved if small
- 1/4 cup basil, chiffonaded
- Heat up your grill pan on medium high, spray with cooking spray
- Season your chicken breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and cook on the grill pan, flipping until your chicken is cooked through. Set aside, keep warm.
- Cook your pasta, with no salt in the water. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic, stir occasionally, allow it to cook for about a minute. Dont let it burn!
- COmbine the milk and flour in a small bowl, whisk together, and gradually add to the garlic and butter mixture, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the pesto. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, until thickened, stirring often.
- In the remaining two minutes, add the Asiago cheese, stir until melted.
- Slice the chicken into strips, add it the pasta, along with the sauce and the cut up cherry tomatoes. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and fresh basil, serve, and swoon!!