I was never a cookie, cake, cupcake, baked goods, anything flour-y kinda gal until I got preggo! Now I can’t get enough and I literally have to PULL myself away..on top of that, I NEVER ate breakfast..now I love it! I beg my fiance to either take me to breakfast or make it for me..every.single.day..and thankfully, most days, he comes through! (Others I’m stuck eating cold cereal..bleh!) I love his french toast, his skillet’s, omelets, pancakes…hes so good at it, THANK GOD, because for whatever reason, I have no skill in the area! haha BUT, I DID make these delicious, amazing, PERFECT blueberry scones! They were SO GOOD I even made a second batch and froze them for another day…(I can’t wait for that day!)
You should make these, you will be so happy you did! If you’re trying to watch what you eat..make a batch, only cook two and freeze the rest..they’re so easy to freeze, thaw out, and cook, and next time you want them, the hard work will be all done! 😀 That’s what I’m talking about!! Pull them out for surprise guests, or just for yourself..either way, you just cannot go wrong with these goodies!
Happy Tuesday Foodies! Enjoy!! xo
Ingredients: (I doubled this, but these amounts will give you eight scones)
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, frozen
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (I used frozen, but I bet fresh would be even BETTER!)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (10 oz) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Lemon zest of a whole lemon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Grate the frozen butter on the large holes of the grater. Set aside. Mix together the skim milk, half & half, and sour cream. Refrigerate.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and lemon zest. Add the butter and toss until its completely coated.
- Add the milk mixture and fold with a spatula until combined. Flour a countertop and transfer your dough there. Knead the dough for a minute of two until the dough is a ragged ball, add flour as needed to help prevent sticking.
- Roll the dough into a 12 inch square, fold it in thirds, (like a letter). Fold both ends into the middle to make a 4-inch square. Flash freeze the dough for about 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with the oven rack in the middle.
- Add more flour to the work place if necessary and roll out the dough into another 12 inch square. Lay out the blueberries evenly over the dough, lightly press them in.
- Roll the dough into a tight log, seam side down. Press down the log into a 12 by 4 inch rectangle.
- Take a sharp knife and cut the rectangle into four equal squares. Cut each square on a diagonal to make two triangles. (Total of eight triangles)
- Move to a baking sheet covered in either parchment paper or sprayed with baking mist.
- Brush the tops of each scone with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. (If freezing, throw them in the freezer for 20 minutes, pull them out, wrap them in plastic wrap, put them all in a large ziplock bag and freeze until ready to use.)
- Bake until the scones are golden brown, 18-25 minutes. (You may need to rotate the pan halfway through.)
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool.
- Serve & Swoon!
Source: Annie’s Eats