The past 3 1/2 days have been miserable for my poor little man who has been so very sick, and for us, who have not slept..AT ALL. Its going to be a very long week..I feel so bad for my little guy, and I feel so helpless that he is this unhappy and there isn’t a whole lot I can do for him..its so sad. All we can do is love, love, love him…and drink LOTS of coffee to stay awake 🙂
In the middle of all this, we still needed to eat..we’ve really been making an effort to eat breakfast every single day..we’ve done pretty well with it too…The other morning, I wanted something a little sweeter with my breakfast, but didn’t want to totally splurge on pancakes or french toast! So voila…Blueberry Raspberry Bars..they are literally almost ALL berries! They are skinny, crunchy, sweet yet tart, little berry bars! They are so delicious! A small pan of these lasted us a few days…(probably would have lasted longer if I didn’t snack on one every other time I walked through the kitchen! :P)
These bars are awesome, nice and light, perfect for this time of year and all summer long! Enjoy!!
Blueberry-Raspberry Bars with a Cinnamon Streusal
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 packages fat honey graham crackers
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 7 Tablespoons butter, softened
For the Filling:
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 6 oz. fresh raspberries, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
For the Streusal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor combine the graham crackers and sugar, and pulse until powdery crumbs. Add 7 tablespoons butter, 1-2 tablespoons at at time.
- SPray a 12×6 inch with baking spray, pour in your graham cracker mix, and press in the crumble. Bake for 5-8 minutes. Pull out, and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the blueberries, chopped raspberries, sugar,lemon zest, and lemon juice, toss to coat. Spread across the baked crust.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and butter, pulse until well mixed. It will still look like powder, but when you pinch it together pieces should stick into little crumbles.
- Crumble over the top of the blueberry-raspberry mix, pop in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the berries ‘pop’
- Pull out of the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.