I am literally watching the coffee drip……drip……drip…..into my mug this morning. (Actually, I think I do that every morning.) I’m a silly girl who stays up to the crack ass of dawn, even though I know that my 8-month old will be up by 730 every morning. Why do I torture myself do you ask? Well because, I’m Alaina, and I’m a TV Junkie. Its bad..I shouldnt even tell you how many shows record on my DVR between Sunday and Thursday..its embarrassing…(14ish shows + my eight-hour SVU marathon that gets recorded every Tuesday + any movies my lovely fiance wants to watch with me….I told you it was bad.) And since I have a little babe, I obviously can’t watch it like I used to..and I refuse to give up all my fav shows just because I don’t have time like I used to..(call me selfish) so yes, I torture myself staying up to catching up on everything and then wait
very impatiently patiently while the coffee brews.
Anyhoo..as you can tell by the Patriots colors, I made these for the Superbowl, but you can add red food coloring to make them pink for Valentines Day, or purple food coloring and make them for Easter! This is my GO TO Vanilla Cupcake Recipe! I LOOVE them! The almond extract gives it such a great flavor and the buttermilk makes them nice and moist. They’re so fluffy and so delicious! They always dome perfectly and taste incredible!!
I brought these out for the Superbowl party and they were gooone…its been everything in my power not to make them again the last couple days…my only saving grace has been the full package of double stuffed Oreos..(that is no longer a full package) and I guess when you think about it, not really a saving grace, because those aren’t good for me either! Well…we all have our vices..double stuffed Oreos dipped in peanut butter are mine..if you recall, I told you once that I probably ate a package every two days while pregnant…yah, we don’t talk about that anymore! ha! This is the first time I’ve had them in the house since…(you can see why!) But I digress…
Make these cupcakes, they’re sooo good! Add red coloring, because I’m dying to make some pink ones for V-day! And upload the picture to my Facebook page!! 🙂
Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the Frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 3(+/-) cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Fill muffin tin with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer,(or just a large bowl with and electric mixer), beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth.
- Sift half of the flour mixture through a mesh strainer into the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the buttermilk and stir again until almost combined.
- Sift the remaining flour mixture in and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups filling them up 2/3 the way.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5-10 minutes then remove to a cooking rack.
- Let them cool completely before frosting them.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, mix the cream cheese and butter together for the frosting, until creamy.
- Add the vanilla bean paste and mix again.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you reach you’re desired sweetness.