Our little man is 9 months old this week..to say time if flying doesn’t even suffice! Sometimes I feel like we go to bed, wake up, and something else has already changed..or he’s learned something new..its absolutely incredible how fast he learning! He’s been standing for a while now..and lately he’s been getting brave..trying to walk on his own..hes climbing the stairs..the little guy thinks hes invincible! It’s such a joy to watch him every single day..and I feel so lucky to have the ability to be home with him..I know some people don’t have that leisure..I couldn’t imagine leaving five days a week..so much changes so fast..he cracks me up all.the.time! He’s so funny!
(Isn’t he so darn cute!?!!) be tee dubs..if you want to see more of this sweet face, (& the daily’s of my life..follow me on Instagram!)
Anyhoo..this Grapefruit Cake came from the Cookie Queen, Maria, from Two Peas & Their Pod! I have made quite a few of her cookies and I’m telling you..I have yet to try something from this woman that I haven’t loved! Shes pure evil to my waistline, but absolute love to my palate! 😉 This cake is dense, tangy, only slightly sweet, and perfect with a steaming hot cup of coffee in the morning! Cake for breakfast? I’m totally in!
(Oh by the way…Miss. Maria has her first cook book coming out!! Eeee!!! 😀 You should definitely sign up for her email updates regarding the book so you can get your hands on it ASAP!! I know I can’t wait!! Its alll about cookies! Where could you go wrong?! Click this link and sign up there!)
After pouring the grapefruit syrup over it, I let it soak for a few hours before glazing it and diving in..but if you can’t resist, I highly recommend having a cup of coffee nearby! This is definitely a breakfast cake..think citrus-y coffee cake, with hot coffee and checking your daily blogs! 😉
You don’t want to forget about this cake come summertime…because while now it’s so fabulous as breakfast…what is better than anything citrus in the summer?? Nothing. So Bookmark, Pin It, Print It, howeveryou save your recipes..and keep this in mind come Spring and Summer..but not before you try this out for breakfast soon! Enjoyyy!
Happy Hump Day!! xo
For the Cake:
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 1/2 grapefruits
- 4 teaspoons grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup canola oil
For the Syrup:
- 1/4 cup Grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
For the Glaze:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 or 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the grapefruit zest to the sugar. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
- In a large bowl combine the yogurt and sugar mix with a wooden spoon. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Add the oil and mix well.
- Pour the batter into your greased pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in teh middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
- For the syrup, combine the sugar and grapefruit juice in a pan on the stove and whisk over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and grapefruit juice. Adjust thickness to your own preference.
- Poke holes all over the cake with a fork, and pour the syrup all over it.
- Allow the cake to fully cool to room temperature before adding the glaze. Once cooled, drizzle over the top and serve!
Slightly Adapted from: Two Peas & Their Pod